The Science Behind Glutathione and Its Effect on the Skin
In the world of skincare, nothing is more buzzworthy than antioxidants. Thanks to their ability to neutralize free radicals, as well as their potential to protect the skin against environmental damage, antioxidants have become a mainstay in skincare products. One such antioxidant that has gained significant traction in recent years is glutathione. You may be wondering what exactly glutathione is and why you should care about it. Let’s take a look at all things glutathione, including its benefits on the skin, types of glutathione supplements and how it can be incorporated into your skincare routine.
What is Glutathione?
Glutathione is an antioxidant that plays a key role in the antioxidant defense system of the skin. It is naturally produced in the human body, mainly in the liver, but it can also be found in the lungs, kidneys, intestines, eyes and brain. In the skin, glutathione helps to fight off harmful free radicals, making it an incredibly beneficial skincare ingredient. It’s also found in hair and nails, which makes it a great multi-tasking skincare ingredient. In addition to its skincare benefits, glutathione can also be beneficial for your health, particularly your liver, immune system and your eyes. In fact, research has shown that glutathione plays a key role in preventing the development of cataracts.
How Does Glutathione Work?
Glutathione is an antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals in the skin and protect it from environmental damage. Free radicals are unstable molecules that are formed when your body breaks down certain substances (i.e. when you don't exercise, consume alcohol, etc.). They can cause liver damage, cell death, accelerated aging and even skin cancer. While your body produces glutathione to fend off these harmful molecules, it’s important to ensure that your body has enough. That’s where glutathione supplements come into play. They can help your body produce more glutathione and defend against free radical damage.
- Anti-aging: Glutathione has been shown to increase collagen production in the skin, which is essential for maintaining the appearance of youthfulness. It’s also been shown to inhibit the breakdown of hyaluronic acid, a key component of skin elasticity, which can otherwise decrease with age.
- Boosts immunity: Glutathione can help fight off colds, the flu and other infectious diseases, making it an important skincare benefit for those living in cities.
- Protects against UV damage: The sun’s rays can be harmful to your skin, particularly if you don’t wear sunscreen. Glutathione has been shown to protect against UV-induced damage, making it an important skincare benefit for those who don’t always put on sunscreen.
- Helps prevent premature aging: As we age, our bodies produce less and less glutathione. Eventually, the amount of glutathione in our bodies dries up completely, which can cause premature aging.
- Protects against oxidative stress: Oxidative stress occurs when your body’s natural anti-oxidants aren’t strong enough to defend against harmful free radicals. Glutathione can help defend against oxidative stress and the damage it can cause.
- Protects the liver: The liver plays a key role in metabolizing fat, protein and carbohydrates. A healthy liver can help maintain your body’s overall health. Glutathione has been shown to help protect the liver against oxidative stress and cell damage.
- Helps maintain clear and healthy eyes: The eyes are particularly sensitive to oxidative stress. Glutathione has been shown to help protect against oxidative damage to the eyes.
Glutathione is an essential antioxidant that is naturally produced in the skin. As we age, the body produces less and less glutathione, which can lead to premature aging. Fortunately, glutathione supplements can help make up for this deficiency and fend off harmful free radicals. In addition to its skincare benefits, glutathione can also be beneficial for your health, particularly your liver and eyes.